Tuesday, February 21, 2012

531 Journal 3


            As a child, one of the most glaring differences between “the adults” and “my people” was in the way we thought. I could tell we were different, playing with our toys grown-ups would say “Oh, how cute, don’t ever lose your imagination”, obviously these predictable giants had. As I got older, and slightly wiser to the ways of the world, I found myself in an overly hyped age bracket; the teen years were the focus of so many movies, songs, and primetime exposes that I could tell there was an odd fascination about it by the older and younger sets. Whatever it was about this age “they” sure didn’t get it.



Throughout my years as a student I thought a lot, often I thought a lot about thinking---“What is it about the way I (we) think right now, that teachers don’t seem to understand? How can I make absolute sure that I will remember what it is like to think and feel this way, so that I can understand what kids are going through when I get older?” However, as 17 turned into 18 turned into 25, and college papers mixed with bill statements, I wake up at 31 and wonder what it was like to think in my high school brain (and what happened to my pager).


            As I move forward in becoming a high school teacher, I need to address the cognitive, affective and technological gap that exists between myself and my future students. Although I feel disconnected from the thoughts and feelings of the average high school student, I have spent these past non-teen years tutoring teens in math and science so I have maintained an academic connection to the thought processes of many high school students. Unfortunately, I have steered clear of dealing with the emotional needs of high school students, with the exception of brief encounters substitute teaching and watching “Glee”. As for technology, I have only recently taken up residency on the world wide web, immersing myself into the technologies and spaces kids today grew up with.


            I see many gaps between myself and future students but I am not worried about closing them quickly. I enjoy viewing things from different perspectives and can’t wait to try understanding how high schoolers “see” different topics. While I do have a lot to learn about technology, CSUSM’s teaching program has taught me a great deal and I look forward to learning even newer technologies from (with) my students. Lastly, the gap between me and the emotional needs of my future students will be my greatest focus as a teacher because understanding people and how to help them better enjoy life has always been at the core of who I am; being open with the class as a whole, reaching out to parents, researching backgrounds and having meaningful exchanges (in person and on paper) with students individually, will hopefully strengthen my connections to all my future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment